Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Sweet Satisfaction

For the past three days, the office has been inundated with sweets.

On Monday, two employees brought in different kinds of candies and cookies. Yesterday, someone brought in some leftover home-baked goodies. When I walked into the office this morning, a fully decorated Gingerbread House was sitting in the middle of the kitchen table. Their presence seems appropriate, considering I found out today the building we work in used to be a candy factory. And if the calorie count wasn't high enough by that point, Father Rosica brought cannolis and cookies into the office after lunch. I ended up being allergic to most of the stuff (they seem to cover everything in powdered sugar), but I managed to escape with a piece of iced, candy-covered roof.

It was hard to find things to do this morning. I know I need to be forward in asking for assignments, but I can't help but hesitate in constantly asking people for tasks. After a few rounds of "Is there anything I can help you with?" someone handed me papers to organize. It has to do with the donation receipts I was working with earlier in the week. I'm now going through and matching the actual donations with a thank-you letter and an official tax receipt. Again, it's not very hard. But, there's something very satisfying about starting to work on a pile of paperwork and being able to see it shrink in front of you.

My paper sorting was interrupted by the filming of Zoom around 11:45. The correspondents were different today and it was interesting to see how different everyone's style is. I wasn't able to follow the process of developing the stories and writing the script today as I had expected, but we're supposed to try again tomorrow.

I had lunch again at the Mystic Muffin. Honey now recognizes me and calls me "Texas" when I walk in. The Sisters volunteered to take me to the local grocery store this weekend so that I can buy some items to make my lunch daily. I like eating lunch in the office. The table in the kitchen sits eight at a time, so people eat in shifts. I tend to eat with the later group - I think we sat down to actually eat at 1:20 or so. I almost feel like I'm eating dinner with family - everyone is usually very talkative and friendly.

After I ate lunch, I had to attend the editors' meeting. It's mostly a check-up meeting, trying to coordinate all the departments together. I was able to introduce myself formally to the producers and explain my background and why I had come to Salt and Light. The meeting lasted almost two hours, but I got a better feel of all the personalities.

The meeting concluded around 4:00, so I returned back to my desk ready to finish my paper sorting. I had maybe worked 2 minutes when Father Rosica came over the intercom and announced that mass would be taking place in a few minutes. Immediately following his announcement, hymnal music was played to prepare everyone.

I looked at the whole experience as surprising and beautiful. The possibility that I'll ever be in another working environment that encourages everyone to step away from their desk, walk maybe 5 steps, and experience mass as one community is very slim. I really just think it's amazing. Mass lasted maybe 25 minutes and then everyone returned to work. I made myself tea, all the while thinking this was probably the pinnacle of what Sister Paula Jean wanted me to experience in my internship - talk about Catholic impact on the profession.

On my way out of work today, one of the producers asked me if I could start doing voice overs for some promos and programs - she said she thought my voice would be good for it. I really think that would be fun. She doesn't work the rest of the week, so we're going to talk about it next week. I left work a little after 5, only to end up spending 15 minutes waiting for the railcar outside. When it finally arrived, it was pretty packed. Despite the lack of space, everyone on the street rushed on - so channeling the inner lemming in me, I did the same.

I really should have walked home. There was only standing room. Everyone was compressed into the little aisle area. Being one of the last ones on, I had to stand next to the doors. Big mistake. The next stop was a popular station and a lot of people had to exit the car. Thinking I'd slip into an open spot once the people started to move, I held onto the pole next to the steps at first. Well, I might as well have been the actual pole - people used my back to help themselves maneuver down the steps - no one paused for one moment to let me actually make my way further into the car. People can be totally lame.

I finally made it into the aisle and found a seat. I ended up sitting next to one of the friendliest strangers I've come across yet. He was an older businessman and told me all about the transit system. He also warned me that the rates were going up to $3.00 in January. That is the rate you pay to get on the railcar. It's a flat rate, so you could get on and ride all day, or you could get on and ride one block - but still pay the same price. I think it's a ridiculous rate - the gentleman told me it's the fourth or fifth highest public transportation rate in the world.

I made it home in time to have dinner with the nuns. We had chili again and pound cake for dessert. I stayed down in the dining room and was able to talk for them for sometime. They told me about how in different convents, they used to answer the phones funny sometimes for the heck of it. It was a really enjoyable dinner.

Yet again, I'm exhausted tonight. I'm hoping at some point I adjust to my new schedule so that I can actually accomplish school work at night. I've never been so appreciative that I don't have to work fun time at a day job and then do school at night. I have wonderful parents.

Lots of love,

Michelle

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michelle! While posting on your wall on facebook I noticed the link to you blog & wandered on over.

    I can't wait to hear more about your Canadian experiences in a former candy factory (too cool)! Best of luck finishing out your first week.

    ReplyDelete